Sunday, March 28, 2010

G-Man's Deli.........













Hi Everybody...
Here's hoping you had a Kick Ass Week-End!
I've been meaning to attempt to make some homemade Pastrami.
Upon researching the subject, it appeared that the marinade or brine for both Corned Beef and Pastrami was very similar. So why not use a store bought Corned Beef? I waited until they went on sale for St. Patty's Day, and I bought a couple of briskets for 1.99 a pound. The primary difference between the two deli-treats is that Pastrami is smoked, and it does not use pickling spices. The spices that was used for this recipe' rested upon the use of Smoked Paprika, fresh cracked Black Pepper, and Coriander.
1. Take the brisket and trim most of the fat.
2. Sprinkle VERY generously the Smoked Paprika and the other spices.
3. Wrap with FIVE layers of aluminum foil!
4. Bake in oven for 5 hours at 240 degrees.
5. Let cool at room temp.
6. Put in fridge for at least 12 hours.
VOILA!!!!!!!!

I also decided to try a turkey breast in the same manner.
It Worked GREAT, and it was surprisingly moist!!
I'm having a few fellas over today for a late lunch , and I thought that Pastrami or Turkey on Rye, would be mighty tasty. I also made a creamy Pasta, Red Pepper, and Cheese salad, along with a sweet and sour Red Cabbage, Beet, and Red Onion slaw!
Needless to say, I don't need to cook or buy lunch until at least Wednesday.

FRIDAY FLASH 55 UPDATE:

There are two, maybe three contributors to last Fridays 55, that were not answered by me. The reason is that WORDPRESS would not let me access your post. If you can't link your story to my comment box, at least make it so I can just click your name or Avatar. Please? I'm not very High-Tech at all, please remember that.
Sorry for any inconveniance, and Thank You for your Cooperation!!

Peace...!!!

13 comments:

inappropriatesue said...

Wow. I really wished I lived closer to you. That sounds delicious. Screw the diet, I want some :P

Katherine said...

Mmm...Delicioso! You really do know how to do it all.

lime said...

man, that looks fantastic. i think i'd like some of that turkey and the pasta salad please!

Serena said...

Looks delicious!

Sherry said...

A man who knows how to cook is definitely a "keeper"!

One Prayer Girl said...

Corned beef, pastrami, on fresh rye, with Swiss, deli mustard - you have fired up my taste buds and my memory.

As a kid we would leave our Presbyterian church after Sunday service and go to the local kosher deli for some of their wonderful deli treats.

Thanks for the memories.

PG

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Don't put pictures like that up when I could lick my flatscreen just to get a taste. I'm starving!!!

Akelamalu said...

Can I come for lunch please? :)

Anonymous said...

9:53 AM and I am ready for that sandwich right now! That looks great. I have a brisket and a turkey breast in the freezer, think I will give it a try. Now about those side dishes, how about some recipes for those?

Greg S. said...

Wow. Look great! Enjoy!!

chitowngreg
http://chitowngreg.wordpress.com

Twisted Susan said...

You had me with that BIG slab of meat then scared the bejeezus outta me with the Miracle Whip.

buffalodick said...

Good recipes and good thinking! Pastrami sounds great right now..

Maude Lynn said...

That sounds like a perfect lunch!