Monday, September 24, 2007

IT's In The Air............

A few months back, I wrote a post about the only time that I skipped school. It was when I was a senior at Flint Southwestern Class of "68".. Me and a buddy had driven down to Toledo during 3rd hour, Lunch, and 4th hour, and bought 4 cases of Buckeye Beer..That night we had a party in a dusty field and about 25 cars showed up. We "circled the wagons" and turned our headlights on, and all had our radios blasting to The Big Six WTAC...AM ..I'm sure we were listening to Motown, The British Invasion, and 96 Tears!!!.There was also a local legend that played at all the local dance and Rock concerts...his name was Bob Seger. A while back I was reading an article about what inspired certain songs. This is what Bob Seger himself said about "Night Moves"..

"The song was inspired by AMERICAN GRAFFITI," Seger says. "I came out of the theater in 1972 thinking, 'Hey, I've got a story to tell too!' Nobody has ever told about how it was to grow up in my neck of the woods"..So Seger wrote"Night Moves" about the early 60's, when he and his teenage friends around Ann Arbor, Michigan would drive into farmer's fields to party. "Everyone had their their headlights on, so there was light to dance", Seger recalls. "They'd play 45's, and we'd be blasting them out: Ronnettes, Crystals..." Seger's personal "American Graffiti" sold over a Million copies, and it became the personal favorite of his repetoire..."I don't know if I'll EVER write that good again"!!.....
" I woke last night to the sound of thunder..
How far off I sat and wondered
Started humming a song from 1962
Ain't it funny how the night moves
When you just don't seem to have as much to lose
Ain't it funny how the night moves...
With Autumn closing in..."

17 comments:

lime said...

first!!!


how cool is that? so you can have that song from your time and your neck of the woods. great memory. great story

G-Man said...

Ah Limey....
CONGRATULATIONS!!
Thou art FIRST!!
Thanks Michelle..xoxoxox

Serena said...

Great song, fun background. I knew Seger was from MI, didn't know he grew up practically in your back yard. Cool!:)

GAB said...

WOW what I keep learning at the hands (or brains)of mr knowitall.

Mona said...

I remember you telling us about it. & then how in record time you were back too!

"Ain't it funny how the night moves
When you just don't seem to have as much to lose
Ain't it funny how the night moves..."

Love those lines...

snowelf said...

That song is very smooth!! :)
You really wrote it, didn't you G-man. ;)

--snow

Little Wing said...

One of my fave Bob Seger songs is ' Shame On The Moon'......but they are ALL good!
'Fire Down Below', 'Against the Wind'....in fact I have never heard a Bob Seger song I didn't like!!!!!
Thanks for a great post.....now I am gonna go listen to some of his music!!!!!!
Hugs, you be da man!

Little Wing said...

'Until ya been beside a man......
Ya don't know what he wants......
ya don't know if he crys at night........
ya don't know if he dont....
when nothing is easy.....
old nightmares are real....
until ya been beside a man.....
dont know how he feels......

jillie said...

Man I use to love the parties in the corn fields! Ahhhh the memories except when you sit on a stick and scratch your butt! LMAO....NO g-man...it DIDN'T go UP my butt!! ugh...hahahahahahaha

barman said...

I so missed out. Never had a party in the field. Closest I came was standing in tall grass in a park in Canada. But I can so feel it now. And what better choice that Seger playing. I have got to dig out the box set. As always, love the background.

G-Man said...

Hi Serena!!
Yes, it was practically in my back yard..
We had a great Rock and Roll heritage in mid-Michigan!!
xoxbgxoxox

Gabby,
Well keep on coming then!
Then you learn all that I know, and you will soon have your own blog!!
xoxo

Missy,
I'm so very pleased that I post about something that you enjoy!
We have something in common then!..xox

Mona,
They have Bob Seger in India?
I know they had him in Katmandu!!
xoxox

Snowelf,
If I could write like that, I'd be on top of the world. Instead of on the bottom of it..xoxox

Jadey,
Great Music transcends all ages!!..Thanks.xox

Jillie...
Please!!!
I wouldn't have such thoughts..xoxoxox

G-Man said...

Barman,
Cool!! I'm glad to be of service!!

Crabby said...

Seger is a wolverine? I was sure he was a Buckeye.

Cool story, G. Takes me back. Wayyyyyy the hell back. Amazing how fast time moves. One day your 16, next you're 56.

Mona said...

We do have him in India. We have everything in India except...

Galen, lime, tops, & etc. etc.. :(

Anonymous said...

we used to call them "grassers"
lol
tc

SignGurl said...

I thought my generation invented the field party. At least we thought we did. We blasted Seger and Quiet Riot. Good times....

G-Man said...

Missy,
I know..I'm not being sarcastic either..xoxox

Crabby,
No kiddin, how do you think I feel?
xoxoxox

Mona...
I'll come to India..Only to see you!!
xoxox

TC,
Yep!! Thats what we called them too!!

Signgurl,
"Cum on Feel the Noise"
xoxoxox